I just love coffee-flavoured foods, don’t you?
I didn’t always but I love loooooove it now.
I’ll get it anywhere I can – hello coffee flavoured frozen yogurt mmmmmm….
Now with these Coffee Energy Bites, I can be assured the taste and caffeine kick I so desire.
Although, I don’t know if caffeine gives me a “kick” so much anymore. It’s more like coffee has now been imprinted into my DNA and my genes are not properly expressed unless I have it.
And that’s the whole idea – get a bunch of ingredients and make up a bunch of (slightly) different variations on the same theme.
I also needed vanilla and didn’t have any so I got the “pure” extract – see pic, with toe thumbs! Maybe next time I’ll try them with the real vanilla. Which would then of course file this one under “Oh You Fancy”.
So you mix everything up, chill for 20 minutes in the fridge and here’s how they turned out:
Word to the wise: make sure you use liquid honey. The original recipe doesn’t specify but I think it needs it.
I didn’t have any liquid honey so used the creamed stuff and they weren’t sticky enough (I actually had to add a tablespoon of melted coconut oil to get them to stay in ball-shape).
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
I’ll be keeping a batch of these in the freezer for rushed mornings – then I’ll never be without my fix again
- 1 cup dry whole grain oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp fresh ground non-brewed coffee beans
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup of liquid honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Stir your oatmeal, flaxseed, and coffee granules together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed, then add your almond butter, honey, vanilla and cacao nibs.
- Stir well. Let chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of to make about 10-12 balls.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 1 week