Simple Sweet Poato Soup is in the house!
So I’ve been oh-so slightly obsessed with sweet potatoes lately.
But what’s not to love?
Healthy carbs, including fibre and starch, major vitamins and minerals plus they’re cheap?!
Sign me up.
I’ve definitely always loved these guys, but just recently, I’ve taken it to a whole new level.
The other night I made a super simple side dish with them.
I roasted some sweet potatoes and then while they were still warm, fresh from the oven, I tossed them with some baby kale.
Check it out:
The heat from the potatoes made the kale wilt.
This would work well with spinach too – and probably a little less well with regular kale, just because it’s so hardy.
But after that dish, I had some leftovers so I turned it into this recipe:
Simple Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Baby Kale.
This recipe for Simple Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Baby Kale is a great transitional dish.
Like many of us, I tend to naturally eat lighter/cooler foods in the summer, and heavier/warmer foods in the winter.
This recipe is a mix of lighter (the veggies) and more filling (fibre, “warm” spices, thicker.)
I also love this dish because it has cumin and coconut milk – two of my favourite flavours.
The fat from the coconut milk also boosts the satiety in this dish, which is a bonus.
Sometimes just plain veggie soups are great but don’t keep me satisfied for any length of time so this soup takes care of that – it’s so filling.
I hope you love this recipe for my Simple Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Baby Kale!
Simple Curried Sweet Potato and Baby Kale Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (about 3 cups) for extra flavor, I roast sweet potato first – this takes more time of course so if you don't want to, you can skip this step
- Olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalk celery
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper want more heat? Add more
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 900ml no salt, vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups baby kale or 3 cups chopped kale make sure to remove the thick, stemmy parts
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss chopped sweet potato with a little olive oil and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Roast chopped sweet potatoes for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Stir halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from oven when done.
When sweet potatoes are almost done, start the soup
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until simmering.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add celery, roasted sweet potato, cumin, curry, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Toast for 1-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth and salt. Place lid on pot and bring to a slow boil. Add kale.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and then use an immersion blender to puree soup to desired consistency. Serve hot.