How happy was I to discovered these lovelies in the local grocery store the other day – so beautiful!
And all that colour doesn’t go to waste just looking good.
Deep colours in fruits and veggies are from “carotenoids”, like beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A in the body.
These carotenoids play a big role in protecting our health – recently large studies have found a protective effect and carotenoids can protect against certain cancers and even Parkinson’s disease.
As if we needed another reason to include more veggies in our diet!
And with produce prices what they are, carrots meet the need for a nutritious side without breaking the bank.
- 1 bag Heirloom carrots (about 8-10)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp creamed honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prep carrots by washing, peeling and cutting into 4, lengthwise. Arrange on baking dish.
- Dizzle oil over top, then honey. Toss to coat.
- Top with a couple pinches of salt and fresh pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, turning at 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Makes 4 adult servings.
Nutrition Info per serving: Calories 98, Fat 4g, Carbs 15g, Fibre 4g, Sugar 7g, Protein 2g