LaCroix® Water: you've seen it in stores, on TV, and at your friend's backyard BBQ. But is LaCroix® sparkling water gluten free? Good news for sparkling water lovers: LaCroix® water is naturally gluten-free! Not only that, the refreshing bubbly water has no sugar, no artificial flavors, or sweeteners. Read on to find out the (delicious) secret behind this zero sugar and gluten free drink - LaCroix®!
- 🍞What's gluten?
- 🙋♀️What is LaCroix® Sparkling Water?
- 🇫🇷Is LaCroix® French or Italian?
- 🖐️Why is LaCroix® so popular?
- 😄Is LaCroix® Sparkling Water Gluten Free?
- 📝Ingredients in LaCroix® Sparkling Water
- 🍎Are LaCroix® Drinks Healthy?
- 🍹Is there alcohol in LaCroix®?
- ✅Bottom line on LaCroix® sparkling water
- More Resources to Not Miss!
- Want more?
- 💬 Comments
You know when you want something to drink that's not a sugary drink but doesn't have sweeteners or a ton of artificial flavors?
You're not left with a ton of options.
"Drink water" is a common recommendation sure, because well, it's just water.
Sometimes you just want something with a little some extra, aka taste!
That's where sparkling water comes in veeerrrry handy.
Like LaCroix® sparkling water!
LaCroix® is a refreshing drink that's a welcome change to all the sugar-laden, caffeine containing energy drinks out there.
Let's take a look at what makes LaCroix® a great, gluten-free choice for a beverage!
First things first: what's gluten?
Gluten is a mixture of proteins found in wheat, barley, rye. Gluten is what gives dough its elasticity and helps bread and other baked goods maintain their shape.
Gluten is also the part of the wheat, barley or rye that causes a reaction in people that have a gluten-related disorder.
For people with celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, or wheat allergy, consuming gluten can cause a whole bunch of symptoms.
Reactions to gluten can involve the immune system (celiac disease) and cause damage to the lining of the small intestine.
Symptoms of gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity can range from digestive issues to skin rash to fatigue or "brain fog".
So, naturally, if you think you're sensitive to gluten to any degree, you're gonna want to:
- One, follow a gluten-free diet and
- Two, have a pretty good idea on which foods and ingredients are safe to consume - and which ones aren't
And yes, even drinks can contain gluten.
So what about LaCroix®? Is LaCroix® sparkling water gluten free?
🙋♀️What is LaCroix® Sparkling Water?
Pronounced "LA-croy", (rhymes with "enjoy") this sparkling beverage drink is a gluten-free sparkling water that has risen to great popularity heights recently.
LaCroix® is a sparkling water drink, sold in cans, with a ton of flavors to choose from.
There are 3 main flavor categories:
- LaCroix® Core - here's where you'll find the classic type of sparkling water flavors like orange, lemon, lime, mango, apricot and berry
- LaCroix® Cúrate® - packaged in a taller and leaner can, the LaCroix® Cúrate® line includes flavor combos like Kiwi Watermelon ("Kiwi Sandía"), Cantaloupe Pink Grapefruit ("Melón Pomelo"), and Apple Cranberry ("Pomme Bayá")
- LaCroix® NiCola® - at the time of writing, the company has 4 flavors in the "Nicola®" line. "LaCola", "Coconut Cola", "Coffea Exotica" and "Cubana"
Sounds like the "NiCola®" is a spin on a cola of sorts. For example, the LaCola is described as, "The first of its kind, a revolutionary experience… Natural cola essenced sparkling water completely Innocent!" (So it tastes like...a Coca-Cola? Haven't tried it but now I'm curious😄)
All flavors of La Croix are gluten-free, vegetarian and Kosher.
Availability of all the above varities will depend on where you live but the "core" flavors are widely available in the United States and Canada.
🇫🇷Is LaCroix® French or Italian?
Actually, it's neither! LaCroix® is made in Untied States and since 1992, the brand has been owned and distributed by the National Beverage company. When the brand was originally launched back in 1980, it was by the G. Heileman Brewing Company, of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
🖐️Why is LaCroix® so popular?
Well, this sparkling water drink won a PEOPLE'S Food Choice Award in 2022 and was featured on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon early 2023.
Not only that, I literally just saw a few cans of the natural water drink placed subtly in the fridge in the show Unstable on Netflix (omg SO GOOD if you haven't watched yet.)
I think it's safe to say this sparkling water beverage has truly taken the globe by storm.
It's probably having a moment (or two or three) in the spotlight of our fridges for a few reasons:
- 😋How good it tastes! I have to admit - I haven't had a "bad" flavor of this drink. I mean, coconut was probably my least favorite, but otherwise the flavors are different, interesting and just plain fun
- 🚫No gluten, no artificial sweeteners, no sugar, no sodium or calories. When you're trying to find a low calorie (or no calorie) beverage, a drink like LaCroix® water is such a welcome change from sugary and / or artificial sweetened drinks
- 😎The branding is spot on: fun, light, "party-down" (in a very healthy way😄) and targeted heavily to Millennials, this sparkling drink has wide appeal and it knows it!
😄Is LaCroix® Sparkling Water Gluten Free?
Yes, LaCroix® Sparkling water is completely gluten free.
There are no gluten-containing ingredients in LaCroix® sparkling water.
In fact, according to the companies' website, not only is LaCroix® water gluten-free, the sparkling water beverage is "innocent". Meaning LaCroix® water is free of gluten, sugars, calories, sodium, and artificial ingredients.
📝Ingredients in LaCroix® Sparkling Water
So if it's "free" of so many things, including gluten, then what the heck is in La Croix sparkling water?
On every can of LaCroix® water is the same ingredients list: carbonated water and natural flavor.
So the "natural flavor" will depend on which flavor you picked up.
Here's the "secret" of LaCroix®: the company extracts and use the natural flavors or "essence" of fruits for flavor, side-stepping the addition of the natural sugar from the fruit juice and of course, no added sugars from any other source.
🍎Are LaCroix® Drinks Healthy?
Yes, LaCroix® sparkling water drinks are healthy! LaCroix® water is completely free of sugars, calories, sodium, and artificial ingredients.
When you want something to drink that's a little more interesting than just plain regular water, LaCroix® can be a great choice.
🍹Is there alcohol in LaCroix®?
LaCroix® sparkling water is completely alcohol free. There is no alcohol in LaCroix® water.
I could totally see why someone might give it second look though. The "Cubana" flavor is described as a "mojito inspired concoction [that] mingles fresh mint and tangy lime notes."
With a description like that, it does make you wonder but no: LaCroix® does not contain any alcohol.
✅Bottom line on LaCroix® sparkling water
So what's the bottom line on LaCroix®? Well, it's got no sugar, no sweeteners and it's naturally gluten-free.
Not only that, unlike other sugary drinks or "energy drinks" out there, it'll hydrate you without causing a sugar crash later on. And unlike fruit juice, you don't get all the sugar (better just to eat your fruit whole, k?🍎🍇🍌🍊)
You've got a ton of fun flavors to choose from and it's just simply a great option for a refreshing and crowd-pleasing drink for you and your friends this summer.
So drink up!
Now I'd love to hear from you: do you love LaCroix®? And if you do love it, what's your favorite flavor?
Comment below - I would love to hear from you!
More Resources to Not Miss!
Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
"*" indicates required fields