This Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes (gluten-free) is a healthy and filling meal that the whole family will love.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this hamburger soup with sweet potatoes recipe:
- 1 lb ground beef
- Sweet potato – 1 medium
- 1 red or orange pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Frozen corn niblets
- Beef broth
- Dried basil, dried oregano and salt and pepper
Can I use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes in this recipe?
Yep! If you don’t the sweet potatoes, just replace them 1:1 with regular potatoes. This recipes calls for about 2 – 2.5 cups of diced sweet potatoes.
I have a big package of ground beef? What can I do with the leftovers?
A few ideas for your leftover ground beef:
- You can make an easy meatloaf and freeze it for later
- Try this delicious soup: Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- Up for a salad? Check out this Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Beef and Kidney Beans
- And if you really don’t feel like making anything else, just wrap the ground beef tightly in saran wrap and pop into the freezer for up to 3 months. Take out the frozen beef the night before you want to use it
I hope you try this hamburger soup recipe it and love it like we do😄
If you make it, I’d love to hear what you think!
Just leave your two cents in the comments below and I’ll get back to you.
PS. Want more gluten-free and healthy recipes?
Check out these out:
- Easy Chicken Soup with White Beans
- Spinach and Citrus Salad with Sweet and Spicy Almonds
- Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Chicken and Broccoli Bake
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup (no beans)
- Easy Winter Soup with Beans
- Butter Lettuce and Pomegranate Salad
- Easy Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
- Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans
- Easy Weeknight Ground Turkey Soup
Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef 0.5 kg
- 1 - 28oz can canned diced tomatoes 796ml
- 1/3 cup tomato paste 1 small can (90ml)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 large sweet potato about 2.5 cups diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a dutch oven or other large pot on medium heat. Dice onion and celery.
- Cook diced onion and celery in the oil for approximately 3-4 minutes, until the onions start to become translucent and the celery softens. Stir often. Season with a little salt.
- Add ground beef and cook until the beef is cook through, about 6-8 minutes, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon. Again, season with some salt and pepper.
- Once the beef is cooked through, add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, diced sweet potato and peppers, garlic, basil and oregano to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Turn up heat to medium-high, cover and bring to a slow boil. Then reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
- After 10 minutes, add the frozen corn. While the soup simmers, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and cilantro on top.