It’s delicious; it’s healthy; it’s filling…what is it?
Why, it’s your next favourite weeknight meal my friend! Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes.
Tastes as good as it sounds too.
It’s also the kinda recipe where chances are, you’ve got everything you need to make it IN YOUR PANTRY.
So super bonus there too💯
Since we’re a bit restricted right now when it comes to grocery shopping, meals like this can be super helpful. Good ol’ kitchen staples really shine here⭐
Speaking of being restricted…Jason and I came up with an interesting idea to keep the kids entertained: a backyard playhouse.
Well, I dunno. What’s a treehouse with no tree?
A clubhouse? A fort? A boy barn?
Ok I made that last one up.
Whatever the heck you wanna call it, I’m calling it: how-mommy-gets-work-done-this-summer. Although we haven’t had word that summer camps are officially squashed for the season, it’s not looking good.
When you've got kids+work+friends+hubby+online yoga class+life, you've got to have at least a couple go-to recipes that are healthy and will satisfy the kids
So we had to get creative and having a treehouse (minus the tree) in our backyard was our recent bright idea. By the way, my friend, this fort. Is. BIG.
And I mean BIG. 10 BY 10 FEET. If you’re not spatially inclined like me, and telling you that it was 10×10 pixels would have been just as helpful, try this:
Picture your garden shed TIMES TWO. On stilts. Yep. That’s it! That’s in my backyard.
Now bear with me as you imagine one more thing: you’re an 8 year old boy looking at this ginormous, on stilts, with a slide, MAYBE-EVEN-A-ZIP-LINE-WILL-APPEAR-FORT and you are now in Boy Backyard Heaven.
Ditto for the 5 year old too. Plus even Bruce Wayne does the slightly-too-narrow stairs so yeah. Dog heaven too.
Anywho, let’s get back to why the heck you’re here: so I can show you your next favourite weeknight meal: Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes.
When you’ve got kids+work+friends+hubby+online yoga class+life, you’ve got to have at least a couple go-to recipes that are healthy and will satisfy the kids. This Easy Weeknight Soup with Sweet Potatoes is one of those recipes for me and the family.
I hope you try it and love it like we do😄
If you make it, I’d love to hear what you think! Just go ahead and leave your two cents in the comments below and I’ll get back to you.
PS. Want more easy and healthy recipes?
Check out these out:
Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef 0.5 kg
- 1 - 28oz can canned diced tomatoes 796ml
- 1/3 cup tomato paste 1 small can (90ml)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 large sweet potato about 2.5 cups diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a dutch oven or other large pot on medium heat. Dice onion and celery.
- Cook diced onion and celery in the oil for approximately 3-4 minutes, until the onions start to become translucent and the celery softens. Stir often. Season with a little salt.
- Add ground beef and cook until the beef is cook through, about 6-8 minutes, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon. Again, season with some salt and pepper.
- Once the beef is cooked through, add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, diced sweet potato and peppers, garlic, basil and oregano to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Turn up heat to medium-high, cover and bring to a slow boil. Then reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
- After 10 minutes, add the frozen corn. While the soup simmers, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and cilantro on top.