This Almond Flour Banana Muffin recipe will be your new favourite healthy muffin recipe! Delicious, gluten-free and made with simple ingredients, these muffins have the best of both worlds with almond flour and nutritious oats! A perfect muffin for breakfast or snack too because they pack extra nutrition from the banana, Greek yogurt and eggs. A moist and easy to make almond flour muffin!
Let's get together and eat almond flour banana muffins right meow, k?
If you're just getting started with gluten-free eating and baking, then you're gonna want to make these muffins.
Because this gluten free muffin recipe is perfect way to get to "know" almond flour when you enter into the wide-wide world of gluten-free baking. You've gotta meet it! Almond flour doesn't behave like regular wheat flour but that's okay😄
These banana and oat muffins with almond flour are still moist, have a great mouthfeel and texture (thanks chopped walnuts!) and are super delicious and healthy.
This was inspired by my recipe for Almond Flour Blackberry Muffins so check those out too.
And if you love healthy and easy gluten free muffin recipes, then be sure to bookmark these Healthy Chocolate Muffins with Greek Yogurt (Gluten Free), Healthy Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins and Healthy Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Cinnamon.
Here's what you'll need to make these almond flour banana muffins:
- Almond flour - this is simply blanched, ground almonds. I like to buy mine from the Bulk Barn. Bob's Red Mill also offers a super fine almond flour.
- Gluten-free rolled oats - gives structure, mouthfeel and major nutrition
- Baking powder - helps the muffins to rise up a bit
- Mashed, overripe bananas - because these muffins have no oil, these mashed bananas not only provide potassium, fibre and magnesium, they bring some natural sweetness and structure to the muffin
- Eggs - for structure and help a bit with rising
- Greek yogurt (unsweetened) - you know I'm gonna jam-pack as much nutrition as possible into muffins and high-protein Greek yogurt will do that😄
- Maple syrup - for a little hint of sweetness
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped walnut pieces - the little crunchy texture that the walnuts gives is just perfection
See recipe card for quantities.
These almond flour banana muffins are simple to make.
Here's the overview of steps but see the recipe card below for detailed instructions
Combine the almond flour, oats, baking powder and salt into one bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients into 1 bowl. Stir until just combined. Add chopped walnut pieces and give a final stir.
Divide between muffin cups and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for ~25 minutes.
Hint: I have found that almond flour muffins REALLY stick to paper muffin cup liners so recommend using silicone baking cup liners when baking with almond flour.
Or, even better?
Grab one of these silicone baking trays and bake the muffins in there - let them cool completely before taking out!
For this recipe you'll need a 12-cup muffin tin, a couple mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a whisk or large spoon, and a cooling rack.
🥡Storage and freezing
These almond flour banana muffins are fine on the counter for 2-3 days in an air-tight container but after that, keep them in the fridge. They'll last longer - up to 4 days.
And they freeze beautifully - just pop them into an air-tight container and into the freezer. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. Just thaw out overnight or a few hours on the counter and warm gently if you want, in the microwave.
✅Trick for baking with almond flour
If your almond flour is lumpy or not "fine", you can sift it to get a better consistency. Using a fine mesh sifter, sift the almond flour into a large bowl.
Push through any large chunks. Then from that bowl of sifted almond flour, spoon into the measuring cup what you need for this recipe.
I've made these muffins with "finely ground" and "regular ground" almond flour and the results have been the same (ie, delicious😋).
Be sure to only spoon the almond flour into the measuring cup!
Hope you love these banana almond flour muffins like we do❣️
Almond Flour Banana Muffins with Oats
- 12 cup muffin tin
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup gluten-free oats
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed, overripe bananas mash with a fork
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-tin muffin pan with silicone muffin cups.
- Combine the almond flour, oats, baking powder, salt in a large bowl with a wire whisk or spoon.
- In another separate medium bowl, add the eggs, mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla. Combine well by whisking it all up with a wire whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir to combine well with a spatula. Don't over-mix but stir just until the muffin batter is fully combined and no dry spots are there. Then stir in walnuts.
- Divide muffin batter between 10 muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees F for 23-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.