These Healthy Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins (gluten-free) are bursting with tangy cranberry flavour and pack a nutritional punch👊 Without any added sugar and filled with fibre-packed fruit and oats, you’ll be making these all season long🍂
Here’s what you’ll need to make these gluten-free healthy cranberry muffins:
- Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour (I love Bob’s Red Mill version)
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats – my fave: Only Oats Gluten-Free Rolled Oats (not the quick ones for this recipe)
- Baking powder
- A large orange (for the rind)
- 2 small or 1 large very ripe bananas – or the thawed ones from your freezer work well
- Olive oil
- Cranberries – fresh or frozen
Can I use dried cranberries instead of fresh, frozen ones?
Dried cranberries will work for this recipe just fine. Downside? You don’t get the exploding-cranberry-in-your-mouth-taste like you do with the fresh/frozen ones.
I have fresh cranberries. Do I have to cut them in half before I use them?
Nope! You can just throw ’em in there. I mean, if you have time to spare, feel free to cut them in half but I personally love the exploding-in-your-mouth-bite that you get when you use the whole cranberries.
This recipe has no sugar? Is that right??
Yes! It is. And as a result, you can imagine these are NOT a sweet muffin😄So if you’re used to very sweet baked goods, these healthy cranberry muffins might not be for you.
I baked for the 25 minutes but they’re still a little too wet inside. Why are they underdone?
With most baked goods, when the ratio of “dry” (flours, oats, baking powder or soda, salt, etc) to “wet” (egg, oil, applesauce, milk, etc) is off, a denser muffin is the result and that needs more time in the oven. For this recipe, if the bananas you use are large, that can boost the moisture up and increase the baking time needed. If after 25 minutes, the muffins aren’t done, put back for intervals of 3 minutes until done, checking after each 3 minutes.
Want more?Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
I hope you give these muffins a try and love them.
If you do make them, be sure to rate and comment below. I love hearing from you.
*virtual* high five🖐️
If you like the sound of these healthy cranberry muffins, here are some other gluten-free recipes to check out:
- Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans
- Gluten-Free Breakfast Oat Cookies with Date Sugar
- Healthy Gluten-Free Granola
- Super Moist Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies
- Healthy Breakfast Bars You Can Grab and Go
This recipe was originally posted September, 20th, 2020 and was updated on October 10th, 2021 with more details notes and new photos.
Healthy Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- 1.5 cup gluten-free rolled oats *not instant or "quick cooking" oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Fresh grated orange rind
- 2 very ripe small bananas, mashed or thawed, previously frozen bananas; about 3/4 cup total
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your muffin pan with silicone muffin cups or brush the muffin tins a little oil.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange rind in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, oil, applesauce and egg with a wire whisk.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top. About 2 Tbsp in each cup.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool out of the muffin tins completely. Store in an air-tight container.