I realize that the title of Best Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins is a bit presumptuous but hey, I am NOT steering you wrong on this one my friend🙋♀️
These bad boys really are super yummy.
Plus, these Best Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a perfect snack to have mid-afternoon or you could have a couple with some hard boiled eggs for a quick breakfast.
Overall, muffins are a great way to pack some nutrition into a small package.
Well, I should say they can be a great way to pack some nutrition in. Because a lot of the time, muffins will pack in a lot of fat, calories and empty sugars. Booooo😢
That’s the thing about muffins. They have this “healthy halo” that’s bit misguided. Or downright wrong.
But not here! With these Best Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, you get some protein, fibre and healthy carbs without the disappointing load of calories and extra sugar that comes with store-bought ones.
Because if you’re looking to be your healthiest self, manage your cravings and have the energy you need to work-kids-hubby-friends-and-life like you mean it, we’ve gotta get you a healthier than traditional option.
And let’s not forget the chocolate. Because you can be healthy and have chocolate.
Life’s too short, right?
These Best Ever Banana Muffins pack the nutrition in little package thanks to a few healthier swaps for ingredients:
- 2% Greek Yogurt
- Applesauce instead of oil
- Plus, they have no added sugar
And the best part? Cameron loves them. Like had four of them on Saturday when I made a batch(!)
Cameron also loves stealing chocolate chips while I’m taking the picture. Why not? 😄
The recipe isn’t fancy or complicated, as usual, but I do have a tip you may find helpful when it comes to getting the right amount of flour in your baked goods recipes.
I learned this tip for measuring flour last Christmas while doing Christmas Cookie Baking at Jeanette’s Cakes.
(By the way, it was so fun baking a bunch of different cookies. We had 7 cookie making stations set up, complete with a pastel-coloured mixers, music and bubbly.🍾 If you’re looking for a fun activity to do for a holiday get-together, I highly recommend a cookie baking extravaganza like the one we did.)
So Jeanette was the one who taught us this tip. At first, it seems pretty straight forward, right? If you need a cup of flour, you take your dry measuring cup, scoop into the bag of flour and away you go.
Well, apparently not so! I learned that when you do that, it can compress the flour in the measuring cup, giving you more flour than you need for the recipe and potentially making your baked good less-than-amazing.
So what to do?
Instead of scooping the flour with the measuring cup, take a spoon (or smaller measuring cup) and spoon the flour into the measuring cup until you have what you need.
Then, use the back of a knife (or other straight edge) and level off the cup.
I hope you love these muffins!
If you make them and love them, please rate them and comment below. I really do love hearing from you 😄
PS. Looking for even more banana bread recipes?
Check out this one for my Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans. SO GOOD😋
And for a healthy and super simple cool-you-down treat, check out this recipe for Healthy 5 Ingredient Berry Frozen Yogurt 😎
Best Ever Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 2%
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe/over-ripe bananas About 2 medium-large bananas
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with silicone baking cups (or paper if you don't have the silicone ones.)
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the egg, applesauce, Greek yogurt and vanilla together with a wire whisk or fork. Blend in bananas.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, add chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Scoop approximately 2 Tbsp of batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick into the centre of a muffin comes out clean and the tops of the muffins are springy to the touch.