This Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans is one yummy recipe😋
And Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans is also perfect for a breakfast on-the-go or an afternoon snack in the springtime sun☀️
I posted this a while back and have since updated the recipe slightly (1 more banana and a wee bit more salt.)
If you’re looking for a moist, filling and healthy alternative to “traditional” banana bread, you’ve gotta check this one out.
The recipe is based on one from this pretty cool cookbook: Spilling the Beans – Cooking and baking with beans and grains every day.
(I realize that “cool” is not usually a term to describe anything with beans but you know. I am a dietitian so beans are pretty fabulous in my world #ineedtogetoutmore 🙋♀️)
Fun fact: the cookbook itself was published back 2011 but I got it when my best friend moved to Malaysia (insert me sobbing like a toddler 😢) and she passed it on to me.
Guess you don’t want to lug a bunch of extra weight when you’re moving halfway across the world so cookbooks didn’t make the cut.
Want more?Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
A Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans is a perfect snack to prevent "hangryness"
And when I was flipping through the cookbook, deciding what to make, the banana bread really stood out. So do the Black Bean Brownies. Yum, right?
It kinda blows my mind when you look at the difference between store-bought banana bread and something like this Banana Bread with White Beans.
When you compare to a “traditional” banana bread (let’s say at a very popular coffee shop), you’re looking at a whole of NON-nutrition.
Per slice, the banana bread will set you back:
- 380 calories
- 17 grams of fat
- 29 grams of sugar
And it’s only providing you with 2 g of fibre and 5 g of protein 🙁
When you're looking for snacks to keep you fueled up and satisfied, look for some with healthy carbs and protein - this one has both!
And it kinda seems like well hey, it’s not a doughnut. It’s banana bread! It must be healthy. Apparently not 🙅♀️
But this Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans can be a part of your healthy lifestyle with its source of fibre, protein and antioxidants from the blueberries (or dark chocolate – depending on what you add in.)
All for under 200 calories per slice.
Remember that when it comes to making changes to your lifestyle, it doesn’t matter how slowly go, just that you do not stop. (A very smart person said that. Confucius back in oh about 420 BC.)
I hope you love the Healthy Banana Bread with White with Beans!
If you like the sound of this recipe, then definitely check these out too:
Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour blend (like 1:1 Bob's Red Mill Baking Flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1 cup canned white beans (cannellini beans) drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and brush sides of an 8x4 inch loaf pan with oil or spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir
- Add bananas, beans, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times - chunks are ok!.
- Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Add the blueberries and stir once or twice through.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 55 minutes. Sprinkle a few blueberries on the top if you want.
- It's done when the top is springy to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes and then take it out of the pan. Slice and enjoy warm.