This Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Bread is packed with banana and blueberry goodness. It's a moist, dense and tasty banana bread made with simple and wholesome ingredients found in your pantry and fridge, including white kidney beans for a protein kick! Make a loaf today and enjoy it all week😄
You know those brown-spotted bananas in your freezer?
Turn them into something delicious and make this blueberry banana bread with them!
This healthy and gluten-free blueberry banana bread is easy to make and is one of the BEST banana bread recipes out there, in my opinion💃
You be the judge! Because if you're looking for a moist, filling and healthy alternative to "traditional" banana bread, you've gotta give this recipe a try.
The recipe for blueberry banana bread is inspired from one from this pretty cool cookbook: Spilling the Beans - Cooking and baking with beans and grains every day.
Don't forget to check out the other healthy muffin recipes on my site like:
There's no shortage of delicious and easy to make gluten-free, healthy muffins and breads on this site!
📝 Ingredients for gluten-free blueberry banana bread recipe
- Gluten-free flour - I have been using Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour lately
- Baking soda - helps to give the banana bread a little height
- 2 large and very ripe bananas - gives that hint of sweetness, banana taste and some structure
- Sugar - you can use white or brown sugar
- Olive oil
- White kidney beans - also known as "cannellini beans", give a protein and fibre boost to this bread; plus the beans make the loaf more dense and moist (no fluffy loafs here!)
- Blueberries - fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries will work
🔪How to make gluten-free blueberry banana bread
Making this gluten-free banana bread is easy peasy!
Check out the web story with full instructions in the recipe card below:
Here's the high level steps:
- Prep your loaf pan by lining with parchment paper or brushing on olive oil to prevent the banana bread from sticking and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine
- Then to your food processor or blender add the bananas, white kidney beans, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Blend until just smooth. Takes about 20 seconds of pulsing on a medium speed
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add the blueberries and stir one more time
- Pour the banana loaf batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in a pre-heated oven for 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once you take it out of the oven, put the loaf on a wire rack to let the banana bread cool off a bit before slicing
More instructions and tips within the recipe card below.
To make this healthy banana bread, you'll need your food processor or blender; 2 mixing bowls (1 large bowl and 1 small bowl); some measuring cups and measuring spoons, an 8x4" loaf pan or bread pan, a spatula and / of wooden spoon, and a wire rack for cooling the blueberry banana bread.
🥡Storage and Freezing
This banana bread will be good for up to 4 days on the counter in an air-tight container. It also freezes beautifully.
Before freezing, slice the banana bread up and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer in an air tight container.
The bread will store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Take it out the night before you want to eat it and heat gently in the microwave if you'd like.
🍌Tips for making this banana blueberry bread
- 🍌For the bananas in this recipe, you can use fresh (non-frozen) overripe bananas that are browning. When the bananas are this ripe, they provide a lot a lovely, natural sweetness. Mashed bananas are nature's sweetener! I recommend staying away from very firm bananas or bananas with green in the peel because they're just not sweet enough.
- 🫐For the blueberries, you can use fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries. If you use frozen blueberries, I recommend stirring them into the batter before the blueberries thaw out or you'll have some pretty blue-tinged batter, as I did one time😄Either frozen blueberries or fresh juicy blueberries will give you a delicious blueberry POP in your mouth when you eat the bread
- ⏲️Cooking time: I find 55 minutes works really well for me and I've made this recipe a LOT. For your first time making it, to tell if it's done, you can bake the loaf to the 55 minutes and then stick a toothpick into the baked loaf. If it comes out without any goopy batter on it, the banana bread is done.
✅What makes this a healthier banana bread?
It kinda blows my mind when you look at the difference between store-bought banana bread and something like this healthy blueberry banana bread.
When you compare to a "traditional" banana bread (let's say at a very popular coffee shop), you're looking at a whole of NON-nutrition.
Per slice, a more "main stream" banana bread will set you back:
- 380 calories
- 17 grams of fat
- 29 grams of sugar
And it's only providing you with 2 g of fibre and 5 g of protein😢
And it kinda seems like well hey, it's not a doughnut. It's banana bread! It must be healthy. But alas, no.
But this gluten-free blueberry banana bread can be a part of your gluten-free, healthy lifestyle with its source of fibre, protein and antioxidants from the blueberries (or dark chocolate - depending on what you add in.)
Plus, you'll get 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fibre - per slice!
Alright, I hope you love the gluten-free blueberry banana bread!
If you make this recipe and love it like we do, please rate and comment below. I love hearing from you🙋♀️
If you like the sound of this recipe, then definitely check these healthier and gluten-free snack recipes out too:
- Healthy Gluten-Free Granola
- Super Moist Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten-Free Oatmeal Breakfast Bars with Chocolate
- Healthy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones
- Puffed Quinoa Bars with Almond Butter
Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
"*" indicates required fields
Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour blend I use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1 cup canned white kidney beans (cannellini beans) drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and brush sides of an 8x4 inch loaf pan with oil or spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir.
- Add bananas, beans, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times - chunks are ok!
- Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Add the blueberries and stir once or twice through.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 55 minutes. Sprinkle a few blueberries on the top if you want.
- It's done when the top is springy to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes and then take it out of the pan. Slice and enjoy warm.