A healthy zucchini bread is just what you need for breakfast to start your day off right. It's a not-too-sweet, moist, and gluten-free zucchini bread too! It's so easy to make with ingredients you already have in your pantry and fridge like maple syrup, eggs, milk, applesauce and of course, fresh zucchini!
This loaf of gluten-free zucchini bread is calling your name!
Get ready for a zucchini bread that's so easy to make and it's packed with wholesome ingredients you've already got in your kitchen and pantry.
This recipe is based off my Mum's original recipe, which to me, was the best zucchini bread.
Made a few tweaks and now we've got a healthy and gluten free zucchini bread in the house🏡
If you love healthy spins on this type of recipe, then check out more recipes for gluten-free muffins and breads like this recipe for Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans or these Healthy Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins too!
🥘Ingredients for healthy zucchini bread
Here's what you'll need to make this gluten-free zucchini bread recipe:
- Zucchini, about 2 small (about 6 inches long)
- Gluten-free baking flour - my go-to is Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Applesauce, unsweetened - applesauce in zucchini bread brings natural sweetness and keeps the lovely loaf from drying out
- Maple syrup
- Olive oil
- Lemon - this is kind of like a secret ingredient! I mean lemon does basically make everything better but in this zucchini bread, lemon adds a brightness and hint of tang to the overall flavour
See recipe card for quantities.
A gluten free zucchini bread doesn't get much easier to make than this recipe.
- First, you'll pre-heat your oven and prepare your loaf pan.
- Then, you combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl - the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, you'll combine wet ingredients - the applesauce, maple syrup, eggs, milk, and olive oil. Whisk everything up and then added the shredded zucchini and lemon rind and juice. Give another stir together.
- Add the zucchini mixture into the large bowl with the flour - stir until just combined.
- Use a spatula to get the loaf batter out of the bowl and scraped into the prepared baking loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour.
See recipe card below for full instructions.
If you want to make this recipe for gluten-free zucchini bread vegan or use a different flour, here's the substitutions:
- Milk - to make a dairy-free zucchini bread, simply swap out cow's milk for a milk of your choice - oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk - whatever you prefer that is plant-based.
- Eggs - to make this recipe egg-free, use an egg substitute.
- Oil - for this recipe, I prefer the olive oil but you could use canola or almost any vegetable oil
- Flour - You can also change up the flour too. A zucchini bread is so yummy when made with almond flour. Almond flour is gluten-free and gives the zucchini bread more texture because, hey, the flour is ground almonds after all.
A gluten-free zucchini bread with walnuts is that traditional combo - and it's delicious and adds some nice texture to the loaf.
Feel free to add walnut pieces into the batter before baking.
You could also add chocolate chips for an indulgent treat😋
All you'll need to make the zucchini loaf is a loaf pan, 2 bowls, a whisk and a spatula and/or wooden spoon.
If you want to make muffins, follow the instructions but instead of a loaf pan, use a 12-cup muffin tin. Line the muffin tins with silicone baking cups and add the zucchini loaf batter to bake.
If making muffins, reduce baking time to about 30 minutes.
The baked zucchini loaf will stay good on the counter for up to 4 days. This gluten-free zucchini bread is moist so be sure to wrap it well or put it into an air-tight container.
You can also freeze this zucchini bread. First, slice up the loaf and wrap each slice individually.
Place in freezer and grab a slice out when you're running out the door and need a healthy snack or breakfast.
Hope you love this healthy and gluten-free zucchini bread like we do😄
PS. Extra zucchini? Use up your abundance of this nutritional green vegetables in this recipe for One Pan Chicken Breast with Zucchini and Peaches!
Gluten-Free Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 Loaf pan
- 2 small zucchini; about 1.5 cups grated or 1 medium zucchini
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or use cooking spray to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Grate zucchini into a large bowl. Add eggs, maple syrup, milk, olive oil, and applesauce to the bowl. Whisk together until combined and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add this flour mixture to the bowl with the zucchini.
- Stir everything together a couple times. Grate in the lemon rind and stir just until no streaks of flour are left.
- Using a spatula, scrape the batter out of the bowl and into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the centre of the loaf - if it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake for additional 3 minutes and check the loaf again.