These Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa Flakes are a yummy and healthy snack, plus they’re perfect for mornings when you’re on the run🏃♂️
Given I’m 4 weeks gluten-free and feeling so much better, the wheat protein is gonzo for good in my books.
But having other baked goods – for snacks or breakfast time on-the-go that are also gluten free, calls for a little experimentation.
And this experiment turned out deeelicous.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa Flakes:
- Oat flour – I make my own in my Ninja Blender
- Quinoa Flakes – mine are from a company called GoGo Quinoa
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
- Bananas, very ripe or thawed from the freezer
- Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- Maple syrup
- Dark chocolate chips
I ended up with some coconut flour earlier this year (no idea why) and in search of a gluten free breakfast, came across Quinoa Flakes by GoGo Quinoa.
Thanks to Amazon Prime, 2 boxes of this super interesting flaked seed was at my doorstep less than 48 hours later.
So what’s the deal with quinoa flakes? Well it’s basically exactly what it sounds like: it’s flaked quinoa (really!)
You know how when you cook quinoa, you get the seed kind of bursting out? And you get those “curly q’s” alongside of the seed?
With quinoa flakes, the seed is flattened or rolled out, and then toasted (so it doesn’t really split apart like when you cook it.)
The result is a flake that resembles really fine oats almost.
Here’s what it looks like right out of the box – see the little flattened quinoa seed?
Do you need to soak quinoa flakes?
These Chocolate Chips Muffins with Quinoa Flakes are a favourite in my house and I hope they are in yours too!
Looking for other gluten-free recipes? Check these out:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa Flakes
- 1 ¼ cups oat flour
- ½ cup flaked quinoa
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 large bananas smushed; about 1 cup total
- 1 apple sauce container 1/2 cup
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cups dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with silicone muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, flaked quinoa, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix the smushed bananas, applesauce, egg and maple syrup.
- Pour this banana mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and give one final stir.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clear.
- These muffins keep well in an air-tight container for 3 days on the counter. Freeze for up to 3 months.