This healthy and filling ground beef meal prep recipe comes together easily, making great lunches for the week ahead. Flavouful ground beef, more protein from some kidney beans and a kale-spiked quinoa round out this healthy, portable meal.
Having a healthy lunch that is quick and easy to make is just KEY these days. A ground beef meal prep recipe like this one fits the bill perfectly.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Ground Beef with Beans and Quinoa Meal Prep recipe:
- 1 medium onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- Lean ground beef, about 1 lbs (or 0.8 kg)
- Taco seasoning – pre-made or you can use this recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 small can corn, salt-free
- ⅔ cup frozen, chopped kale
What to serve with this ground beef meal prep recipe:
You don’t need anything else! You’ve got it all:
- Protein from the beef, beans and quinoa
- Healthy carbs from the beans and quinoa too and
- A hit of veggies from the pepper and kale
Does this recipe freeze well?
Yes, you can freeze portions of this recipe. Put the ground beef mixture and quinoa as directed into an air-tight container and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then re-heat for about 1-2 minutes in the microwave, stirring halfway through.
I had a whole lot of ground beef and now I have some left. What can I do with the leftover ground beef?
A few ideas here:
- You can make an easy meatloaf and freeze it for later
- Try this delicious soup: Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- Up for a salad? Check out this Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Beef and Kidney Beans
- And if you really don’t feel like making anything else, just wrap the ground beef tightly in saran wrap and pop into the freezer for up to 3 months. Take out the frozen beef the night before you want to use it
Hope you love this ground beef meal prep recipe♥️
Check out these other gluten-free and delicious meal ideas too:
- Starbucks Chicken and Vegetables Protein Box Copycat
- Fresh Herb Salad with Chickpeas and Feta
- Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chili
- Simple Haddock Quesadillas
- Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Chicken and Broccoli Bake
Ground Beef with Beans and Quinoa Meal Prep
- 1 1/4 cup Quinoa 1 ¼ cup is before cooking
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- lean ground beef about 1 lbs (or XX kg)
- Taco seasoning
- 1 can dark red kidney beans 1 - 540ml can
- 1 small can canned corn salt-free, 341 ml can
- ⅔ cup frozen, chopped kale
- low sodium beef broth optional
- Lime wedges, shredded cheese for serving
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Mine is 2 cups of beef broth, bring to boil. Add 1 ¼ cup of quinoa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 min with the lid on. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 min. Add shredded frozen kale and stir. Set aside.
- While quinoa cooks, cook the ground beef in a medium non-stick skillet until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Add onions and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add taco seasoning, diced yellow pepper, the kidney beans and corn.
- Stir to combine. Optional: add a little beef broth to help the flavours sink in.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and there is little beef broth left in the pan (if you added some.)
- Serve hot or if making for lunches, divide between 6 containers.