This Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Beef and Kidney Beans is perfect for those nights that are SO BUSY. It's a delicious meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes. Score for you, mom!🏅
You know those meals your mom made for you growing up that like totally made your day when you had them?
This taco salad with kidney beans is one of those recipe for me.
Having chips at the dinner table was MIND-BLOWING to my 12 year old self.
What an awesome treat!
And even with the chips, this is a healthy meal!
It's a taco salad packed with protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals. And of course, it's naturally gluten-free😄
📝Here's what you need to make this Healthy Taco Salad
- 1 lb / 0.5 kg of lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- Salt, turmeric, chili powder
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce
- Gluten-free taco chips (like Doritos) and some shredded cheese for serving
🔪How to make a healthy taco salad
🙋♀️What make this taco salad healthy?
A lot of taco salads from restaurants say, pack in the fat and calories from things like:
- The deep fried taco shell it's served it
- High-fat beef
- Piles of cheese on top
- Other toppings like full-fat sour cream
This taco salad recipe side-steps all of those things. Yay!🙋♀️
Plus, with adding the kidney beans, you're getting:
- More fibre
- More protein
- More potassium and magnesium
🥡Storage and Leftovers
When you're storing it, just keep the romaine lettuce separate from the beef mixture. Keep both in the fridge. Then when you wanna eat, heat up the beef and kidney bean mixture separately.
This Healthy Taco Salad is great for lunches the next day too.
Hope this Healthy Taco Salad makes it into your weekly meal rotation - #TuesTacoNight anyone?
If you try it and love it, please rate and comment below. I do love hearing from you.
Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
"*" indicates required fields
If you like this easy and healthy recipe for family meals, then check these out too:
- Easy Chicken Soup with Tomatoes and White Beans
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas
- Instant Pot Sweet and Spicy Chicken Thighs
- Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
- Ground Beef with Beans and Quinoa Meal Prep
Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Beef and Kidney Beans
- 1 lb lean ground beef 0.5 kg
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon tumeric
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz
- 1 large head romaine, chopped
- taco chips for serving
- Shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- Saute ground beef and onion in the same pan over medium heat. Cook until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink, breaking up with a spatula as you go.
- If your meat is quite fatty, you can drain some fat at this point.
- Add beans, ketchup and spices. Combine in the pan and cook on medium for about 5 min. Turning mixture in pan every couple minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from heat. Serve on a plate of romaine lettuce with some shredded cheese and nacho chips