Slow Cooker Chicken anyone? I’m coming at you today with a super fuelling recipe that is waaaaay too simple.
This Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas recipe was my most asked for recipe after posting it on Instagram recently so here it is.
Seriously, it feels like cheating, which feels great 🙂 I love recipes like this one that are all-in-one suppers: protein, fibre, healthy carbs and hearty. Perfect for cooler weather and schedules full of hockey practices, play dates and birthday parties.
This recipe for Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas has a ton of flavour, it’s beyond simple to make (halllooooo slow cooker) and it uses easily available ingredients.
There’s such a creaminess to it – thanks to the cream of mushroom soup – but without all the sluggish, heavy-gut feeling that comes from a super high fat meal.
Man, don’t you love how slow cookers really make it easy to have your supper cooking for you while you’re at the office or going about your day? We’ve had ours for years now. It’s nice and low tech – it has a Low, High and Keep Warm setting. That’s it. Simple = better for my brain.
By the way, have you tried the InstaPot yet? I haven’t but so many people I know have. I love different gadgets and gizmos in the kitchen but I’m not jumping out to get one.
I’m somewhat of a late adopter and a little lazy. They been out for what, a few years now? But I am really thinking about getting a Spiralizer…
Hope you love this one as much as we do.
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas
- Slow cooker
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 pkg low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup low sodium
- 1 650ml jar salsa
- 1 x 540 ml chickpeas rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the taco seasoning
- Add the mushroom soup (straight from the can, non-diluted), salsa, and chickpeas to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for about 3.5 hours or low for 4.5 hours (will vary depending on your slow cooker.) After ~3 hours, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Stir in the sour cream. Cook for another 30 minutes. Once cooked and heated through, turn slow cooker to keep warm until serving (or serve right away with the next step.)
- Stir in cilantro and serve. Options for serving: over brown rice, or in a tortilla wrap or you can eat it on it's own