This Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas has 6 main ingredients and cooks itself. Filling, gluten-free and delicious, this recipe is perfect for cooler weather and schedules full of hockey practices, play dates and birthday parties. Phew!
I'm coming at you today with a healthy, gluten-free recipe that is waaaaay too simple and insanely delicious😋
Here's what you'll need to make this easy recipe of Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 pkg low sodium taco seasoning (or you can make your own - check out this recipe for my Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, low sodium
- 1 - 650ml jar of salsa
- 1 - 540ml can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup low fat sour cream
- Cilantro (optional)
The recipe has cream of mushroom soup!? Really?
That cream of mushroom soup is the secret ingredient. It gives a creamy texture and hit of flavour to this recipe.
And to be clear: you do NOT add water to the can of soup.
You just literally dump the can of concentrated soup into the slow cooker. Seriously.
Into the whole cream of mushroom soup idea and want more?
Check out these recipes for even more recipes with cream of mushroom soup from Taste of Home.
What to serve with this Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas recipe:
This is truly an all-in-one meal. But yeah, sometimes it's nice to have a side dish and a little freshness (aka veggies).
So I'll serve this as a main dish and then keep it crisp with some sort of greenery on the side like:
- Simple steamed broccoli or green beans
- Carrots, cucumber or pepper slices
- This Easy Butter Lettuce and Pomegranate Salad, or
- This Spinach and Citrus Salad with Sweet and Spicy Almonds
This recipe for Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas has a ton of flavour, it's beyond simple to make (halllooooo slow cooker) and it uses easily available ingredients.
Man, don't you love how slow cookers really make it easy to have your supper cooking for you while you're at the office or going about your day?
We've had ours for years now. It's nice and low tech - it has a Low, High and Keep Warm setting.
Simple = better for my brain.
Want more?Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
Enjoy! And please rate and comment below.
I do love hearing from you🙋♀️
More healthy and gluten-free recipes here:
- Easy Weeknight Hamburger Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Chicken and Broccoli Bake
- Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Beef and Kidney Beans
- Simple Haddock Quesadillas
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup (no beans)
- Easy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado
Originally published on October 1st, 2019, the recipe and photos were updated on November 12th, 2021.
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken with Chickpeas
- Slow cooker
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 pkg low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup low sodium
- 1 650ml jar salsa
- 1 x 540 ml chickpeas rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the taco seasoning
- Add the mushroom soup (straight from the can, non-diluted), salsa, and chickpeas to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for about 3.5 hours or low for 4.5 hours (will vary depending on your slow cooker.) After ~3 hours, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Stir in the sour cream. Cook for another 30 minutes. Once cooked and heated through, turn slow cooker to keep warm until serving (or serve right away with the next step.)
- Stir in cilantro and serve. Options for serving: over brown rice, wrapped up in a gluten-free corn tortilla or you can eat it on it's own as is