These Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Scones (gluten-free) are a perfect way to start you day: a healthy oatmeal scone with a tangy cranberry and orange bite!
Yay for cranberry season! That means Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Scone time!
Nothing like a tart cranberry in a scone or a simple cranberry sauce to bring feelings of fall/winter and all things cozy and bright.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Scones:
- Gluten-Free Flour
- Gluten-Free Oats
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- 1 orange for the zest
- Softened butter
- Whole cranberries – fresh or frozen work
- Sour milk – you can make your own by add 2 tsp of vinegar to 3/4 cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes
- Extra milk – for brushing the tops with milk before they go into the oven
Not only are these bad boys delicious, they pack some filling fibre too.
Great for some energy on-the-go.
And they’re crunchy. So you if you like a crunchy, slightly-crumbly, and not-too-sweet scone, this one is for you😄
Can I use dried cranberries instead of fresh/frozen?
Yes, you can use dried cranberries instead of the fresh or frozen cranberries. I use to always use the fresh cranberries and cut them in half but now, I just throw them right in whole, fresh or frozen.
How do you make “sour milk”?
To get a little tangy taste in these healthy cranberry scones, you’ll use sour milk. To make sour milk, add 2 tsp of vinegar to 3/4 cup of milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
Can I use buttermilk instead of the sour milk?
Yep! If you have butter milk in the fridge you can use that 1:1 for the sour milk.
I don’t have cranberries but I have frozen blueberries. Will those work?
For sure! If you try the blueberries, I would also add some cinnamon and keep the orange for a different flavour profile.
I hope you enjoy these Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Scones!
Looking for a few more healthy and gluten-free snacks? Check these out:
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Super Moist Pumpkin Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans
- Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies
- Banana Date Chia Smoothie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa Flakes
- Healthy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones
Originally published on January 12th, 2020. I updated the recipe, blog post and photos and re-published on November 1st, 2021.
Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Scones
- 2 cups gluten-free flour I like Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1.5 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 6 Tbsp soft butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 3/4 cup whole cranberries fresh or frozen work
- 3/4 cup sour milk to make sour milk, combine 2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar with 3/4 cup milk and let stand for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using 2 knives, cut in the butter or margarine until combined and it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add in the orange zest, cranberries and add sour or butter milk. Stir until completely combined.
- Lightly flour your surface and place the dough on the surface. Using your hands, form the dough together but don't knead it. Form the mixture so the whole mixture is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Divide into 3 pieces.
- Cut 4 scones out of the 3 pieces. Transfer each scone to the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with milk (not the sour milk!)
- Bake in oven for ~25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Let cool.