If you’re not quite as well stocked up on groceries as usual, then these Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Cookies may be just what you’re looking for.
Let’s get a little context on this one first shall we? These days, I feel we’re all trying to do our best. At least that’s what I’ve been telling myself.
It’s pretty crazy when you stop to think that this novel corona virus has touched the whole world. And now we’re all working, living, parenting, shopping (not hoarding) and socializing in completely different ways.
So with that in mind, “doing your best” can also mean just getting what you need for snacks for kids at home or when you get out for a bike ride or walk (thank goodness it’s nicer weather and we can actually go for walks, etc.)
Alright. Let’s get back to why you’re here – to see how easy it is to make a delicious, healthy and portable snack: these Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies 😄
These are super simple to make and you’ll love them because you can use up your browning bananas on the counter. (Psst…have more bananas in the freezer? I’ve got you. Use them up with this Healthy Banana Bread with White Beans. 2 words: Yum. Yum.)
After those bananas, all you need are oats and chocolate chips. And you can’t go wrong with these staples. (Of course chocolate is essential. No one’s gonna argue with that one.)
I’m definitely a oats-every-morning kinda gal and that’s why these Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies are great because it’s like having a bowl of oatmeal on-the-go.
Oats are always a good idea. These nutritional powerhouses are packed full of:
- Beta-glucan, a type of fibre (hello healthy bowels!)
- Manganese, selenium and phosphorus – minerals the body needs
- Polyphenols, which act as antioxidants in the body kicking butt of all the inflammatory processes going on (stressin’ ain’t helping)
As options, you’ll see there’s cinnamon, vanilla and for the “salty” part of the recipe: rock salt. My husband isn’t quite as in love with straight-up salt like I am but he does love the chocolate+salt taste combo that happens in this recipe.
And to top it all off? These Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies are moist. No dry granola bar here, thankyouverymuch. Just a filling, fueling and healthy snack. With chocolate.
So yeah. Go forth. Keep doing your best. And make these bad boys.
PS. If you’re looking for another healthy snack for you and the kiddies you’ve got to check out these: Simple 2-Ingredient Greek Yogurt Summer Popsicles. So yummy.
Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies
- 1.5 cups large flake 100% whole grain oats
- 1.5 cups mashed bananas about 3 medium bananas
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Cinnamon to taste
- Vanilla to taste
- Pinch of rock salt if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash bananas in with fork until lumpy.
- Combine bananas with oats and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla if desired.
- Place tablespoon-fulls onto a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- If you're looking for the sweet and salty taste, put 2-3 grains of rock salt on the top of each cookie. A little goes a long way with rock salt!
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 350F until cookies are soft.