These delicious and healthy peanut butter oatmeal cookies are perfect for breakfast when you need something simple. Only 3 ingredients and no gluten, no flour and no sugar!
These peanut butter oatmeal cookies are inspired by these Healthy 3-Ingredient Sweet and Salty Oat Cookies on my site.
Loved by moms and toddlers alike, if you're looking for a little chocolate hit, check them out here.
Also, if you're looking for other peanut butter and oat combos to try out for breakfast, check out this recipe for Healthy Soft-Baked Oatmeal with Peanut Butter and Peaches😋
Here's what you'll need for these Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies:
- Gluten-free rolled oats (I buy this gluten-free brand: Only Oats)
- Natural peanut butter
Yep. That's it.
No flour; no sugar; and so simple!
See recipe card for quantities.
To make these healthy breakfast cookies, here's what you'll do:
- Mash the bananas
- Add the mashed bananas, oats and peanut butter in a bowl
- Stir with a fork to combine
- Spoon heaps of about 2 tablespoon each of the mixture on to a baking pan
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes
See below for detailed instructions and tips.
And if you're looking for more healthy breakfast cookie ideas, these Gluten-Free Breakfast Oat Cookies with Date Sugar would be right up your alley.
Hint: cooking time is forgiving!
Because these are fool-proof and just so simple, I've found if you bake them for 10 minutes, you get a softer but a healthy cookie that still holds together.
If you bake them for 20 minutes in the oven, the bottoms will start to brown and so do the edges. But still, totally yummy and good to eat.
Baking these healthy cookies for 15 minutes is the sweet spot.
The healthy cookie turns out chewy and soft but they don't fall apart.
What makes these simple banana oat cookies so healthy?
It's these 3 powerhouse ingredients!
- Peanut butter - packing a good amount of niacin (vitamin B1), plus protein, some fibre and providing a source of manganese, copper, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and magnesium. #Peanutbutterislife💛
- Bananas - this humble fruit is packed with healthy carbohydrates, fibre, potassium, vitamin B6 and manganese
- Rolled oats - packed with healthy carbohydrates, cholesterol-lowering fibre and the added benefit of keeping your blood sugars stable and you feeling fuller longer, rolled oats need to be a part of your life if they're not already😄
Here are some swaps you could use to change up these breakfast cookies:
- Oats - if you don't need the gluten-free aspect, you can use regular oats. But I do not recommend using "quick oats" or steel cut oats
- Peanut Butter - I have natural peanut butter in the house (and recommend it) but if you only have regular peanut butter, you can use that instead. You could also use a different nut butter like almond butter too!
There are a lot of options to add different flavours or even textures to this healthy oatmeal cookie.
Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate - if you want to up the decant factor, add some chocolate chips into the mix
- Coconut - include a hit of that tropical-feeling by topping each cookie with some unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Raisins- love these little gems? Throw some raisins into mix before scooping the cookies onto the baking pan
- Fruit - this variation uses raspberries to up the sweetness without overloading on sugar. Check out these Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raspberry Breakfast Bites (gluten-free).
- Crunch - if you have roasted peanuts on hand, chop up a handful and sprinkle those on top of the cookies before you bake them
These simple breakfast cookies stay fresh and moist on your kitchen counter for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
These flourless cookies freeze very well too.
Feel free to make a double batch and freeze them in a heavy ziplock bag or air-tight container for up to 3 months.
If you have frozen bananas in your freezer and want to thaw those and use them in this recipe, that works too🍌
Make sure the bananas are thawed and mashed too before you use them.
Hope you love these Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies like we do!
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 medium bananas about 1 cup, mashed
- 1 ¾ cups oats
- ¾ cups peanut butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the bananas and using the back of a fork, mash them on top of a cutting board until the big lumps are gone.
- Add the mashed bananas, rolled oats and peanut butter to a large bowl. Mix until combined with a spatula.
- Place mounds of the mixture - about 2 Tablespoons each - onto a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper. Press them each down a little bit with your fingers as these cookies do not spread when they bake. If it's too sticky, use the back of a wet fork.
- If you're adding any chopped nuts or shredded coconut, sprinkle that on top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Store in an air-tight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.