Chicken Mango Quinoa Bowls with Peanut Sauce are packed with protein, fibre and antioxidants. A healthy chicken bowl recipe loaded with folate-rich spinach, powerhouse quinoa, and juicy grilled chicken. An easy peanut sauce with lime makes this quinoa bowl a major winner🏅
These chicken quinoa bowls are set to become your new favourite meal!
They're just sooooo yummy.
These all-in-one chicken bowls are a total #lifesaver when it comes to a healthy supper or an easy and gluten-free lunch.
I made these when a good friend was over for a visit and we both agreed: filling and delicious!
Here's what you'll need to make these chicken quinoa bowls:
- Chicken broth
- 1 shallot
- 2 red peppers
- Mango (frozen chunks or fresh)
- 2 chicken breasts
- Chopped peanuts, cilantro, green onions, lime wedges
See recipe card below for proportions and ingredients.
Here's what you'll need to make the Easy Peanut Sauce with Lime:
- Natural peanut butter
- Gluten-free soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Fresh ginger
- Liquid honey
- Warm water
Make ahead tips:
Make the Easy Peanut Sauce ahead of time
The peanut sauce is good for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Check out the recipe for the sauce here.
No time to make the peanut sauce? No problem!
Take a shortcut and go the "cheap and cheerful" way (aka dead easy):
- Whisk some gluten-free soy sauce into a couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter.
- Squeeze some lime juice in and a pinch or 2 of salt
- Add a little bit of hot water (if needed) and whisk up until you get the consistency you want
Cook the quinoa
To save some time the day of, you can cook the quinoa 1 day before putting this salad together.
Follow the instructions on the container of quinoa you have at home or use my proportions and steps for cooking quinoa:
- Use 2 cups of water for every 1 ¼ cup dry quinoa
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low
- Cook with the lid on for about 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork
- This makes approximately 3 cups of cooked quinoa
Cooking the quinoa in some broth - either chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium) - adds some extra flavour.
I like cooking the quinoa in vegetable or chicken broth for this recipe.
Cooked quinoa will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze cooked quinoa.
After cooking and cooling the quinoa, place in a ziplock bag or container with an air-tight lid. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Take out of the freezer the night before you want to use it so it can thaw in the fridge.
I don't recommend freezing this quinoa bowl once all put together though.
Prep the vegetables and the mango
You can wash and chop all the veggies the day before too.
Take the mango out of the freezer (if using frozen chunks) to thaw out the day before.
Or peel and dice the fresh mango.
Keep the prepped veggies and any fruit covered in the fridge until you're ready to put the salad together.
What to do with leftover quinoa?
If you decide to make some extra quinoa, good idea!
Leftover quinoa is perfect to add to so many different dishes, like salads, soups or even muffins.
Here are some of my favourite recipes using quinoa:
- Easy Quinoa Salad with Feta
- Summer Quinoa Salad with Blueberries and Mango
- Ground Beef with Beans and Quinoa Meal Prep
- Quinoa Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Icing
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa Flakes
- Puffed Quinoa Bars with Almond Butter
Hope you love this recipe for chicken quinoa bowls like we do🙋♀️
Check out these other gluten-free and healthy recipes:
- Baked Feta and Cherry Tomato Pasta (gluten-free)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
- Simple Haddock Quesadillas
- Tropical Green Smoothie with Avocado and Spinach
- Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Scones
Chicken & Mango Quinoa Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- 1 ¼ cup quinoa
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 red peppers
- ½ cup frozen mango thawed
- 2 chicken breasts
- Crushed peanuts, cilantro, green onions and lime wedges for serving
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Mine is heat 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add 1 ¼ cup of quinoa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 min with the lid on. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 min. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a small amount of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the diced shallot and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Then add spinach. Cook spinach down until completely wilted and toss in the olive oil and shallot. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, heat another small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Butterfly the chicken breasts so they're thinner which will help them cook faster. Cook in the pan for about 5 minutes each side or until an inserted meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Sprinkle with some salt as they're cooking.
- While the chicken cooks prep the veggies: dice the peppers and chop the green onions. Take mango chunks from the freezer and defrost in the microwave until room temperature.
- Divide the cooked quinoa between 2 bowls. Add divided cooked spinach, diced red pepper and mango chunks. Top with the warm chicken breast.
- Serve with peanut sauce, crushed peanuts, cilantro, green onions and lime wedges.