Want a salad that can keep you satisfied, healthy and delicious? I know. Sounds like a pipe dream, right? But fear not, dear reader: I’ve got a salad for you that hits all these marks. And it’s this Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad 😄
With our schedules being so full these days with work, school, hockey, hockey and hockey, I’m always on the look out for a salad that keeps me full enough to get through a couple hours and is portable. I love, love arena fries as much as the next person but holey guacamole sometimes I just need some fresh food, you know?
Not to mention the convenience factor score for this salad – I love having everything I need in one dish:
- Lots of veggies
- A hit of protein
- Filling fibre
- Heathy fat from the nuts
A solid 10/10 for sure.
I love, love arena fries as much as the next person but holey guacamole sometimes I just need some fresh food, you know?
I have a time-tested formula to make a salad that will fill you up and still be portable!
I had a package of this 5-Grain Blend from President’s Choice and decided to use it as a base for this Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad. The grain gives a nice heft to the dish. Like, heft in a good way 😉
But you don’t need that exact grain blend if you can’t find it and/or don’t want it. You could totally use rice or barely too. This is one of those recipes that you can easily swap out ingredients for what you have around.
My time-tested formula to make a salad that will fill you up and be portable is:
- A grain base: rice, barley, couscous, quinoa
- Something with protein: black beans, chickpeas; cut up and cooked chicken breast, chunks of grilled tofu, etc.
- Vegetables that can hold their own: cherry tomatoes, cucumber chunks, pepper slices, diced carrots and celery
- Nuts – roasted almonds or pepitas to hold their crunch
- Goat Cheese or crumbled feta
This base can literally give you a bazillion options! That’s a number right?
For dressing, I always keep it simple. No time for fussy stuff today (ok or ever.)
This dressing recipe is:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground coriander
- Salt and pepper.
You know when you find those flavour combos and you go on a kick? That’s me with the whole lime juice+cumin+coriander combination right now.
Added some fresh cilantro and tried the combo on BBQ’d corn last summer – so good!
And one last thing: my newest Value Village, food prop score is this antique platter. Isn’t it fun?
Too bad I can’t put all my recipes on it…that would get kinda boring after a while. I will strive not to be a “once trick pony” when it comes to food photos, Girl Scouts honour 🙋♀️
Well, enjoy the salad!
Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-255ml can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While rice cooks, add olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper to a small mason jar. Fit a lid tightly and shake vigorously to combined.
- Toast silvered almonds in a pan over med-high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until browned. Side aside to cool.
- Combine chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, drained black beans, and cooled rice in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and toss gently to combine.
- Place the salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving (if time allows because it helps some of flavours to gel together.)
- Top with toasted almonds right before serving.