This Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad with Brown Rice is healthy and delicious😄
This is a salad you’ll turn to for:
- A go-to lunch meal prep option
- An easy side for supper
- When you just don’t feel like cooking
A solid 10/10 for sure.
My time-tested formula to make a salad that will fill you up and be portable is:
- A healthy-care and gluten-free base: rice, quinoa
- Protein: black beans or chickpeas; cut up and cooked chicken breast; or chunks of grilled tofu, etc.
- Vegetables that can hold their own: cherry tomatoes, cucumber chunks, pepper slices, diced carrots and celery
- Nuts – roasted almonds or pepitas to hold their crunch
- And if you like it, throw on some crumbled feta or mini bocconcini cheese
This base can literally give you a bazillion options.
That’s a number right?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Moroccan Black Bean Salad with Brown Rice:
- Cooked brown rice
- Cherry tomatoes
- Black beans
- Slivered almonds
For the dressing, all you need is:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
That’s it (mic drop)🎤
You know when you find those flavour combos and you just can’t stop using them?
One of my faves is the whole lime juice+cumin+coriander combination.
Added some fresh cilantro and tried the combo on some BBQ’d corn last summer. Result? Flavour Heaven.
And if you’re looking for ideas for lunches, this Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad with Brown Rice works well paired with chicken breast.
I’ll make it up and it keeps pretty well for 3 days so we can have lunches.
Love it because you don’t have to heat anything up for this lunch:
I hope you love this Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad with Brown Rice🙋♀️
Looking for more easy, gluten-free recipes?
Check these out:
Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad with Brown Rice
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed; 19oz; about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds
- Mint leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While rice cooks, add olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper to a small mason jar. Whisk together with a small fork. Set aside.
- Toast silvered almonds in a pan over med-high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until browned. Side aside to cool.
- Combine chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, drained black beans, and cooled rice in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and toss gently to combine.
- Place the salad in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Top with toasted almonds and torn mint right before serving or use in lunch prep with cooked chicken breasts.