This Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup just sings summer! Brimming with delicious corn, protein-packed chicken breasts and bright green kale, this healthy corn and chicken soup recipe is a perfect all-in-one pot meal the whole family will love.
Hey hey soup lovers! This Sweet Corn and Chicken soup is here to knock your socks off😄
Who doesn't love a naturally gluten-free soup, the whole family can get behind?
This soup recipe was inspired by this Summer Corn Chowder by Little Broken.
My friend and I made that corn chowder recipe (with a few tweaks) years ago and I've been thinking about sweetcorn soup ever since😅
This isn't a traditional Chinese sweetcorn soup recipe with egg noodles and such.
My version is a creamy and hearty - but not heavy - delicious soup, packed with veggies. It's on the thicker side but not quite a "chowder" in my opinion🙋♀️
You'll need just a few easy to find ingredients and your Instant Pot to make this delicious soup. It's such an easy recipe to get on the table for dinner.
So let's go make it!
🙋♀️Why this recipe works
- Made with simple ingredients - this corn and chicken soup recipe is made with ingredients you'll find at almost any grocery store and / or your local farmers market. No speciality items needed!
- Naturally gluten-free - this corn soup recipe has no flour and no gluten-containing ingredients. Just be sure you have gluten-free chicken broth (chicken broth can be a source of sneaky gluten and if you're very sensitive to gluten, you'll react.)
- Nutrition in a bowl - this soup recipe also packs in a whack of nutrition with potassium from the potatoes, fibre in the corn, lean protein in the chicken and vitamin A in the kale. Less on the heavy fat by using a light cream too
- It's just dang delicious! No matter which way you slice it, this chicken and corn soup brings the nutrition and a super delicious taste. What more could you ask for in a soup😄
📝Ingredients for corn and chicken soup
Here's what you'll need to make this delicious soup:
- Chicken breasts (2 large / 3 medium)
- Baby potatoes
- Gluten-free chicken broth
- 5% cream - "light cream" or half and half
- Corn kernels - frozen, canned or fresh
- Frozen chopped kale
- Kosher salt
- Chives - optional, for serving
See recipe card for quantities and below for substitutions.
🥣How to make chicken sweet corn soup
Making this sweet chicken and corn soup in your Instant Pot is super easy!
Here's the high level steps:
A few swaps for the ingredients if you need:
- 🐔Chicken breast - instead of chicken breast, you could use pre-cooked chicken like rotisserie chicken and skip the cooking step at the start of the recipe. You could also use ground chicken or chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- 🌽Corn - you can use any kind of corn for this corn soup recipe. I'll often use frozen corn niblets because I always have them on hand. During corn season in August, I'll use the fresh corn niblets. To use corn on the cob, simply boil or BBQ the corn first and then carefully cut it off the husk. In a pinch, you could also use creamed corn in a can instead of fresh or frozen niblets
- 🥔Baby potatoes - we're using baby potatoes here to boost the creaminess factor. If you don't have them, you can sub-in regular (ie, Russet potatoes) or even sweet potatoes. Don't want to use them at all? No problem! Thicken the soup with a cornstarch slurry instead of potatoes. Whisk 1 - 2 tablespoon of corn starch into ½ cup of hot water and stir into the soup near the end of cooking
- 🥣Chicken broth - if you don't have chicken broth, you can use a vegetable stock instead. Just be sure it's a gluten-free broth because not all broths are gluten-free!
- 🥬Frozen baby kale - I love having a bag of frozen baby kale in the freezer to throw into soups, stews and chilis. If you don't have frozen kale or can't find it, you can use baby kale (fresh), baby spinach, baby bok choy, or frozen chopped spinach instead
You'll need your Instant Pot to cook the soup and a cast iron skillet (or other type of pan) to blacken the corn kernels.
🥡Storage and Leftovers
If you have extra soup after serving it to the family for dinner, no problem. Leftovers of this corn and chicken soup are good for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Re-heat in the microwave until warmed to how you like it.
You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months too.
🥘What to serve with corn and chicken soup
I consider this sweetcorn chicken soup recipe a complete meal because it's got veggies, protein from the chicken meat and potatoes🏅
If you're looking for something else to go with it though, here's some delicious summer salads to go with this corn and chicken soup recipe:
Be sure to add the frozen chopped kale after you blend the soup. I've made this so many times and if I forget this step and add the kale BEFORE blending, you get a pretty green-tinted soup (which your family may or may not find appetizing)😅
And blending is optional of course. I like a blended soup that still has a few hunks of potato and corn goodness in it. In the recipe, you'll see I suggest taking out 2 cups of soup and blending the rest. Then, you add the 2 cups of non-blended soup back in. Totally up to you if you'd like to either blend all of the soup or skip blending completely!
Hope you love this recipe for Chicken and Corn Soup like we do!
🥣Check out these other gluten-free soup recipes
Sign-up to get all the healthy and gluten-free recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week.
"*" indicates required fields
Sweet Corn & Chicken Soup
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 chicken breasts or 2 large
- 2 cups baby potatoes, halved
- 4 cups chicken broth, gluten-free
- ¾ cup 5% cream
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, divided
- 1.5 cups frozen diced kale
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Chives, optional for serving
- In a cast iron pan, cook 2 cups of the corn kernels until browned or a little blackened. Stir often.
- While the corn is cooking, set the Instant Pot to Saute and add olive oil.
- Once hot, sear chicken breasts for 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle each side with some kosher salt. Then remove the chicken breasts.
- Deglaze the pot with a little chicken broth, scraping any browned chicken bits left behind.
- Add celery and shallots to the Instant Pot. Stir and cook for a couple minutes. Turn off the Saute function.
- Then add in the baby potatoes, blackened corn kernels, the 1 cup of regular corn kernels, the seared chicken breasts and the rest of the chicken broth.
- Secure lid and set to 8 minutes on high pressure. Once the timer is up, give the soup a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release. Then carefully release the remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Set Instant Pot to Keep Warm. Take out about 2 cups of soup and using a hand blender, blend the rest of the soup in the Instant Pot. Then add back in the non-blended 2 cups of soup.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Lastly, add ¾ cup cream and frozen kale. Stir and heat through.
- Taste and add seasoning if needed. Serve hot with chives on top.