Salmon salmon salmon! Oh how I love thee.
Alright. I wasn’t always this pumped about a fish but salmon is my default go-to choice when I eat out.
(#ihadthesalmon is my main hashtag)
With protein, heart-healthy omega 3 fats and a super versatile profile, I always have canned salmon in my pantry and frozen salmon in my deep freezer.
Potato salad on the other hand, traditionally loaded with fat and calories, is not my idea of a good time 😉
Although, it is such a common dish and ya, it tastes good! But I don’t want to sacrifice nutrition for taste all the time.
When you want to reverse your prediabetes and lose some weight, I believe there’s a way to have it all 😉
So I set out to find a balance between a satisfying dish and one that offers major nutrition.
First stop: Jamie Oliver.
Jamie Oliver has been and always will be an inspiration of recipes for me. And this case is no exception. I think I was at Sobey’s one day, browsing through the cookbooks when this potato salad with salmon caught my eye.
I’ve since tweaked it and made it my own and voila! Smoked Salmon Potato Salad.
This can be great in all seasons: great in the summer when you don’t feel like a full hot meal but want something more than a garden salad with salty Italian dressing that won’t keep you fuelled up for all your summer activities.
And I also find it great in the winter when heavy turkey/gravy/stuffing meals (plus the chocolate-fest that seems to run from mid-October through till Jan) gets me craving something “cleaner” but again, still satisfying and fuelling.
If you’ve been into the food prep on the weekends like I have lately, you can use roasted potatoes that you have leftover for this salad.
And the the smoked salmon can be kept in the freezer and thawed fairly quickly.
I’ll often have eggs hard-boiled in the fridge as well. Although, if I’m serving this right away, I’ll do up some fresh ones and keep the yolks a bit softer than I would if I’m doing up a whole bunch at once.
Green onions are really nice for some extra flavour on top – but optional of course.
I hope you love it 🙂
Smoked Salmon Potato Salad
- 12 oz frozen smoked salmon thawed
- 1 bag mini potatoes washed and cut
- 4 boiled eggs
- 4 green onions chopped
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss baby potatoes in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Place on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes. Turn for even roasting and roast for
- another 10 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- Meanwhile, whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Cut boiled eggs in half.
- Once potatoes are done roasting, let them cool. Once cooled, place on serving tray.
- Top with pieces of smoked salmon, boiled eggs halves and green onions. Drizzle dressing on top
- and serve immediately.