This Corn and Black Bean Salsa (no tomatoes) welcomes summer like no other! Sweet corn, filling black beans, and zippy red onion come together with a simple lime juice dressing for a yummy corn salsa that's so easy to make.
On of the best parts about this corn and black bean salsa?
It's full of healthy, fresh ingredients and it's delicious😋
Here's what you'll need to make this corn and black bean salsa:
- Corn niblets
- Black beans
- Red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- Olive oil
See recipe card below for quantities and full instructions.
Here's how you'll make it:
- Combine the corn, black beans, red onion, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a serving bowl
- Add juice of 1 lime and the salt over top and stir to combine
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving
Need even more than the 4 cups this recipe makes?
Double the ingredients and make a big batch!
It keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Not only is this recipe just good as is, the combo of black beans and corn make a great base for other versions.
There are so many other ingredients you could add in if you want to change it up.
Here are some ideas for ingredients to add to this super easy corn salsa:
- Avocados - dice 2 avocados and add them for a creamier salsa
- Bell peppers - dice up a red, yellow or orange pepper
- Feta Cheese - adding a cup of cubed or crumbled feta cheese adds a delicious salty flavour
- Lemon juice (fresh) instead of the lime juice would totally work
- Mango - I wouldn't hesitate to add some diced mango to this recipe. And if you love mango and salsa, check out this recipe for Yummy Mango Salsa on the site
- Pineapple chunks
- Tomatoes - like roma tomatoes; dice some up and add them in
What to serve with this corn and black bean salsa
Whether you're wanting a side-dish or a main meal out of this salsa, it can give you either!
If you're serving as a snack or side-dish at a party or get together, these are great options:
- Tortilla chips - can't go wrong serving this salsa with tortilla chips
- Beanitos - for an extra hit of protein and fibre, I love these chips
- Mini naan
- Pita triangles
- Straight up baby (aka get a spoon and dig in!)
This corn salsa makes a great side for a main meal too.
Here are some ideas for serving it for lunch or dinner:
- Grilled chicken - this is a very popular recipe on my site: Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast and would be delicious with this salsa
- Grilled Flank Steak
- Salmon - a grilled or roasted piece of salmon would go great alongside this salsa. Check out this recipe Easy Baked Salmon with Mayo
- Easy Gluten-Free Turkey Burger Recipe for a main protein and have the salsa on the side
- Add this easy corn salsa recipe on top of these Simple Haddock Quesadillas
- Fish or shrimp tacos would also go great with this salsa
Use whatever type of corn you have
The corn niblets can be fresh or frozen and then thawed.
I'll often just put 2 cups of frozen corn niblets into my 2 cup measuring cup and let it thaw in the fridge till I need it later in the day.
If you have fresh corn, use that! To make this recipe with fresh corn, boil it and then cool it down so you can slice the kernels off.
Or, why not takes those lovely ears of corn and BBQ or grill them to get that delicious roasted corn flavour😋
Be sure to rinse and drain the black beans
As the source of the healthy carb and protein in this salsa, beans are a must and the black beans are perfect for this recipe.
Just be sure you rinse them and let them drain for a few minutes so you don't get all the black bean "juice" adding a black tint to your finished product😉
Wash your hands after cutting the jalapeno!
Respect the heat🔥
After cutting the seeds out of the jalapeno, be sure to wash your hands. Really well!
And don't try to like take your contacts out after chopping one of these bad boys, k?
Keep an extra lime aroundd for serving time
I'll often use one more lime and squirt the juice over the bowl of the salsa, right before serving.
I have leftover jalapeno peppers and/or red onion. What can I make with them?
Do you find random parts of onions, garlic, ginger, or in this case, jalapeno peppers drying up on your counter, not getting used up?
Besides throwing them into my compost, it's great to have another recipe to use them up with.
So for the jalapeno, if you have extras (or didn't use the whole one in the first recipe):
- You can use it up in this Yummy Mango Salsa. It's absolutely delicious.
For the red onion:
- You can also use the rest of the red onion in this salad: Lemony Brown Rice, Broccoli and Feta Salad
- Or try this super healthy and delicious salad: Simple Romaine Salad with Radish and Parmesan.
Alrighty, enough chatting.
Let's get you making this - I hope you love it♥️
Here are some other healthy and gluten-free recipes for you to try:
- Simple 2-Ingredient Greek Yogurt Summer Popsicles
- Summer Peach and Basil Salad with Feta
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup (no beans)
- Healthy 5 Ingredient Berry Frozen Yogurt
- Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Chicken and Broccoli Bake
Summer Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cups corn niblets
- 1 large can black beans about 2 cups or 540 ml
- ¼ large red onion, diced about ½ cup
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- olive oil for drizzling
- Combine the corn, black beans, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro and parsley in a serving bowl.
- Add juice of 1 lime and the salt over top and stir to combine.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Before serving, squeeze the juice of 1 lime over top and drizzle with a little olive oil.